- Shannon Crocker MSc RD
How to Create Successful Sheet Pan Suppers
Sheet pan suppers are all the rage and for good reason! Toss your ingredients onto a pan, pop it in the oven, roast at high heat and voilá, dinner is ready in under an hour! Plus, with just one pan to clean up, what's not to love?!
I've got a bunch of sheet pan suppers that I make, but most of the recipes are still floating around in my head. And lots of times I don't use a recipe. I just toss veggies together with oil and seasonings and roast away. Add a tray of chickpeas, tofu or turkey meatballs and we're good to go!
Here are a few strategies I use to make sure those suppers stay simple -- and successful!
How to Create a Successful Sheet Pan Supper
1. Choose veggies that cook in about the same time. Or don't. Add then just add them to the pan in stages.
2. Cut your veggies (and meat if using) in pieces that are roughly the same size.
3. Don't crowd the pan. Put all the ingredients on in a single layer. A crowded pan means your food will steam instead of roast. If you have lots of ingredients, use two pans.
4. Use a large metal pan with low edges (not glass baking dish) for crispier veg. And use parchment paper -- it's a game changer when it comes to clean up!
5. Go with a high heat -- it cooks quickly and gets the veggies caramelized and a little crispy.
6. Toss veggies in oil for a crispier roast. Use one that can handle the higher heat, like canola oil.
3 Simple Sheet Pan Suppers
I partnered with Canola Eat Well to share 3 sheet pan suppers on CTV in Ottawa. These are super simple, super tasty sheet pan suppers created by dietitian pals Dara and Erin over at How to Eat -- if you don't know them, check them out. Now. They have some pretty delicious recipes, including a peanut butter bar that is To. Die For-. Seriously. AND, they are the reason my son loves tofu -- buffalo wing style (thank you ladies!!).
Check out these three recipes and if you want to see more veggie-centric recipes from How to Eat and Canola Eat Well, you can order it here.
1. Sesame Tofu and Broccoli -- this is super easy and the Asian-inspired flavours are a great introduction to tofu. The broccoli gets nice and crispy and it all works beautifully together!
2. Greek Potatoes with Lemon Yogurt Sauce -- yowza! I love Greek flavours and with the potatoes -- YUM! I add chickpeas to the pan or make a pan of turkey meatballs for my guys who need a bit of a heartier meal.
3. Bruschetta Fish -- another favourite flavour combo here with teh tomatoes and feta. Delish on white fish. Definitely good on a big bed of leafy greens. Make an extra bit of dressing to drizzle.
Hope this inspires you to get your sheet pans out and make your supper time simple and scrumptious!