Seriously, if breakfast looked this vibrant and delicious every day, you'd jump out of bed! That brilliant purple colour though!
Have you tried a smoothie bowl before? Basically, it's a really thick smoothie that you add toppings onto so that you can chew your breakfast instead of drink it.
Some folks prefer to chew than sip, so that's cool, but also, solid food (e.g. the nuts and seeds on top of the smoothie) can make you feel more satiated than a liquid. And that means you may be less likely to be looking for something to nibble part way through the morning -- which is great if you don't have time to stop for a morning snack.
This Blueberry Açai Smoothie Bowl has now been added into my morning meal rotation. Not that I have a strict rotation so to speak AT ALL, but it's now one of my fave options. It's nutritious, delicious and powers me through a busy morning. It's a great post work out breakfast too.
It's made with Nordica Smooth Blueberry Açai -- which is a smooth cottage cheese (NO lumps!). And this is my favourite flavour of Nordica Smooth yet!
First, I'm in love with the pale lilac colour, which is all natural from the blueberries and is so pretty. And the taste is truly divine. It's all natural flavour (no artificial flavours or colours) and very subtle -- not overpowering or fake-tasting like some flavoured yogurts can be.
Nutritionally, it gets thumbs up from this dietitian. One half cup has a whopping THIRTEEN grams of protein - more than many Greek yogurts on the market. If you follow me, you'll know that I'm a big proponent of getting enough protein at breakfast to stay satisfied and energized but also (combined with strength training) to stay strong and healthy and vibrant as you age.
But food is more than just protein and Nordica Smooth also gives you some of the same benefits of milk including calcium (healthy bones) and potassium (healthy heart). Plus, it's low fat, but not fat free, so the texture and mouth feel are fantastic.
Okay, back to the Smoothie Bowl. Here's 6 reasons why you need to try it:
1. It's bright purple hue is thanks to the frozen blueberries which are bursting with flavour, fibre and brain health-protecting antioxidants. (If you add more kale, it won't be as bright, but it's a tasty way to get some greens into your day!).
2. It's packed with hunger-fighting protein thanks to the smooth cottage cheese, milk, almond butter and the almonds and pepitas in the trail mix topper.
3. There are some healthy fats thanks to the almonds, almond butter and pepitas.
4. It's creamy and dreamy with a hint of almond butter flavour peaking through.
5. It's super scrumptious for sipping on its own as a smoothie. (I love alliteration!) Pour it into a travel mug and you've got a quick and easy breakfast to go!
6. It's thick enough so it makes an awesome smoothie bowl. Top it with Roasted Almond Dark Chocolate Trail Mix and fresh blueberries and you've got a brilliant breakfast, packed with protein, fiber and healthy fats to energize you and keep you satisfied all morning.
Happy spooning my friends!
I created this recipe for my friends at Gay Lea Foods and shared it on CHCH TV for which I received compensation. All opinions are my own. Nordica Smooth is a product I enjoy all the time and feel comfortable sharing the cottage cheese love!
Blueberry Açai Almond Butter Smoothie Bowl
Makes: 2 smoothie bowls Preparation: 5 minutes
1 cup (250 mL) Nordica Smooth Blueberry Açai
1 cup (250 mL) frozen blueberries
½ cup (125 mL) chopped frozen kale
½ cup (125 mL) milk
2 Tbsp (30 mL) natural almond butter
2 tsp (10 mL) lemon juice
Smoothie Bowl Toppings:
How to Make:
Add the Nordica Smooth Blueberry Açai, blueberries, kale, milk, almond butter and lemon juice into a blender and puree until smooth, approximately 1 minute.
Pour into two small serving bowls. Top with roasted Almond Dark Chocolate Coconut Trail Mix and lots of fresh blueberries.
Download the recipe HERE.