Roasted Red Pepper Flatbread
I created this recipe for Gay Lea Foods and was compensated monetarily for it. As always, I only work with foods I love and would feed my family.
Creating recipes is one of the tastiest parts of my job.
When I create a recipe, I don’t look at foods or nutrients to limit (unless that’s the main goal, I.e. free of an allergen), but rather I focus of ways to boost nutritional value in the tastiest of ways.
I like to play around and find ways to incorporate whole, nutrient-rich foods and ingredients like veggies, nuts, whole grains, lentils, cheese, veggies, fruit, legumes, lean meat/poultry, eggs. Did I mention veggies?
Anyhoo...this flatbread I created with Gay Lea has a boost of protein from the Smooth Roasted Red Pepper Dip. This dip is SMOOTH and it's made with cottage cheese, that's right, cottage cheese! But the smooth kind, not the lumpy stuff (which I also like, but it doesn't spread all that well.
When I make it for me, I pile it high with arugula. Way more arugula than is in this beautifully styled photo by my lovely friend and foodie/photographer Irene.
I can’t get enough arugula.
I also added in flavours that remind me of my recent trip to Italy: garlic, sun dried tomatoes, kalmata olives, balsamic glaze and a high quality olive oil that I get from Picone Fine Food in Dundas -- my fave spot for all things local and Italian!
It’s really delicious. (humble, humble). Last night I topped it with grilled halloumi and leftover turkey from another recipe I’m working on and BAM! Whole meal on a flatbread. Add a glass of wine and there's my Friday night.
But first, I have to go get more arugula.
Hope you give it a try!
Roasted Red Pepper Flatbread
This simple flatbread is delicious as a light lunch and fancy enough to cut into smaller pieces for crowd-pleasing party snacks.
Makes: 2 flatbreads Preparation: 15 minutes
2 naan bread
1 tsp (5mL) olive oil
½ cup (125mL) Nordica Smooth Roasted Red Pepper Dip
1 small clove garlic, cut in half
10 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
2 Tbsp (30mL) chopped sun-dried tomatoes (packed in oil)
6 large fresh basil leaves, torn
½ cup (125mL) grape tomatoes, halved
1 cup (250mL) baby arugula
2 tsp (10mL) bottled balsamic glaze
1. Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Brush both sides of the naan with olive oil. Place the naan on the prepared baking sheet and put into the oven. Bake for five minutes, then turn the naan over and bake for five more minutes. Remove from oven.
3. While the naan is still warm, using the cut side of the garlic, rub the garlic over the top of each naan.
4. Spread Nordica Smooth Roasted Red Pepper Dip on top of each naan.
5. Scatter with olives, sun-dried tomatoes and torn basil leaves. Top with grape tomatoes. Add the arugula. Drizzle with balsamic glaze.
6. Cut each naan into four pieces.
Add grilled halloumi or grilled chicken for an entrée-sized flatbread.
To Download a copy of this recipe, click HERE.